As a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, I recognize that my work has an impact on the protection of people, property and the environment.
In order to assume professional responsibility, I shall uphold and advance the integrity, honor and dignity of the safety, health and environmental profession by:
- Enhancing protection of people, property and the environment through knowledge and skill;
- Being honest, impartial and serving the public, employers and clients with fidelity;
- Striving to increase my competence in and the prestige of the safety profession;
- Avoiding circumstances where compromise of the professional conduct or conflict of interest may arise.
In the fulfillment of my duties as a safety professional, I shall:
- Hold paramount the protection of people and property and the environment;
- Advise employers, clients, employees or appropriate authorities when my professional judgment indicates that the protection of people, property or the environment is unacceptably at risk;
- Strive for continuous self-development while participating in the safety profession;
- Perform professional services only in the areas of my competence;
- Issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner and in accordance with the authority bestowed upon me;
- Act in professional matters as faithful agent or trustee and avoid conflict of interest;
- Build my professional reputation on merit of service;
- Assure equal opportunities for individuals under my supervision.