INTERN OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH
Posted: Nov 26, 2017
ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
ADEQ is committed to leading Arizona and the nation in protecting the environment and improving the quality of life for the people of our state. Our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career; we share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment.
At ADEQ our vision is to be the number one state in the nation in balanced, leading-edge environmental protection through technical and operational excellence; and radical simplicity for customers and staff.
We are seeking talented and engaged interns who want to develop beyond the classroom. Our interns shadow our subject-matter experts; working in the field for water and air sampling, attending compliance inspections, evaluating data for patterns in establishing pollution parameters, drafting reports and notices, everything we do – you will also do! Every day as our intern, you will help drive our agency towards accomplishing our vision. Do you think you have the combination of environmental passion, technical and creative knowledge, skills and abilities to help drive this agency to our vision? If so, apply for our intern position today!
As an Occupational Safety Intern in our Waste Programs Divisions, your main project focus will be assisting with various short duration projects to optimize our Safety & Health Program including:
· Design and develop safety checklists and templates
· Safety program review/update
· Safety audits of office work spaces w/ training
· Develop Safety Process Improvement Team
· Update programs including HazComm, Lockout/Tagout, Hearing Conservation, HAZWOPER, Respiratory Protection
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
Compensation is at $15 per hour with no other benefits provided
It is up to the discretion of the respective school to provide academic credit.
Work schedule is part-time at no more than 19 hours per week
Hours can coincide with class schedule
Intern commitment is through end of May, 2018
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
You will bring the following to the internship:
· Ability to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures and other technical instructions in performance of tasks
· Proficient in research of Safety & Health best practices
· Proficient in MS Office
· Ability to stay organized with multiple, prioritized projects
· Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
You will gain the following from this internship:
· Knowledge of developing and implementing a Safety and Health Program
· Applying regulatory requirements with common sense approach
· Project management
· Understanding of hazards employees are exposed to in course of work, whether in office or field
· Intern candidate must be in their 2nd year or higher in obtaining an Associates or Bachelor’s Degree or working towards a Masters in Occupational Safety & Health
· Membership in a professional association such as ASSE or NSC
· Candidate must have a GPA of 3.0 or better
· Candidate must have the right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship
Essential functions of all State ADEQ positions include:
· Regular and predictable attendance, adherence to State of Arizona and other applicable Standards of Conduct, and any Agency specific policies, procedures and practices.
HOW WE WORK
Today’s ADEQ has a strong foundation upon which to build its future. Success depends heavily on its committed and engaged employees. Ours is a culture of continuous improvement, embodied in the following 10 organizational habits known as The ADEQ Way:
1. Evaluate everything we do for its impact on the mission.
2. Hire only those who believe in our way and have a passion for their work.
3. Train those who cannot, replace those who will not, and promote those who excel.
4. Never hide a problem – respect others enough to be honest, even if the truth is uncomfortable.
5. Do not blame, but hold each other accountable.
6. Involve end users early and often when creating or improving services.
7. Never stop asking why.
8. Continuously design and redesign for quality and radical simplicity.
9. Freely discuss, promptly decide, and totally commit.
10. Do not fear failure.
CONNECT WITH US VIA LinkedIn
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your resume.
Arizona State Government is an EEO/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Having trouble applying for this position?
Email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700 for assistance.