Safety Program Manager
Posted: Mar 19, 2018
USA – AZ – Casa Grande
Hexcel is actively pursuing an energetic, motivated leader as the Safety Program Manager for our Casa Grande, AZ facility. The selected individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Development, implementation and management of plant-wide Safety and Health Programs to ensure compliance, injury and illness prevention and risk mitigation.
- Lead the continued cultural transformation of the Hexcel Casa Grande site in pursuit of their incident-free workplace, with emphasis placed on leading indicators, operations accountability and proactive interactions.
- Manage the facility industrial hygiene and medical programs (i.e., hearing conservation, respirator protection, personal protective equipment programs, industrial hygiene exposure assessment, injury case management and ergonomics programs) and act as liaison with the occupational physician.
- Participate in project reviews to ensure health and safety issues are recognized and addressed prior to startup.
- Participate in operational readiness reviews and thorough review and approval of written operating procedures and engineering controls to minimize/mitigate operational risk.
- Work through others to provide timely resolutions for health and safety concerns by defining the issue, work with stakeholders in establishing action plans and priorities, expediting repair and providing technical assistance where needed.
- Develop and implement safety training programs to ensure knowledge transfer and overall compliance with applicable regulations and corporate standards.
- Serve as the custodian for the Emergency Contingency Plan. Ensure effective implementation, emergency preparedness, engaged and active Hexcel Emergency Response Team (HERT), and periodic drills to assess effectiveness and improvement opportunities.
- Ensures all safety reporting requirements are met in a timely manner, to include tracking and reporting of safety key performance indicators.
- Develop and maintain a professional working relationship with external agencies and inspections, audits, etc., from insurance carriers, OSHA inspectors, property specialists, State Fire Marshall representatives. Ensure violations or recommendations are evaluated and corrected in conjunction with local management.
- Ensures property and building regulatory requirements and codes are met, and coordinate inspections with the property insurance carrier (i.e., fire and property/loss) on a periodic basis to ensure overall compliance.
- Develops and implements safety processes to improve the safety capability, mitigate risks and reduces costs.
- Responds to plant emergencies accordingly to ensure safety of employees, security of plant and operational effectiveness.
- Conduct internal safety audits to periodically verify compliance.
- Oversee chemical approval process for any new materials proposed for introduction.
- Review new and revised safety regulations to determine necessary action.
- Assist in the investigation of health and safety incidents using root cause analysis (RCA) techniques, ensure proper notifications are filed, and drive corrective action close-out in conjunction with the facility leadership team.
- Assist in the development of annual departmental budget(s).
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in a technical field such as Occupational Safety, Environmental Science or Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum of five (5) years safety and health experience, ideally in the manufacturing industry.
- Familiar with and able to interpret accurately OSHA regulations such as confined space entry, control of hazardous energy, hazard communication, personal protective equipment, hazard assessments, respiratory protection, hearing conservation, blood borne pathogens, powered industrial trucks, electrical safety, elevated work, contractor safety, and other applicable standards.
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation system.
- Self-starter; possess excellent interpersonal skills and problem solving ability; able to influence individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Must work well in a team environment and be able to interface with employees on a daily basis.
- Must have strong presentation skills with an ability to speak in public effectively and provide presentations to groups of employees.
- Familiarity and knowledge of ISO 14001, ISO 45001, and LEAN/Six Sigma Principles is a plus.
- Knowledge of Process Safety Management is a plus.
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, or related software.
Eligible candidate must be: U.S. citizen, U.S. national, a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence, a temporary resident under sections 210(a) or 245(A) of the Act, a person admitted in refugee status, a person granted asylum. Hexcel (NYSE: HXL) is a global leader in advanced composites technology, a leading producer of carbon fiber, and the world leader in honeycomb manufacturing for the commercial aerospace industry.
Hexcel is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, status as protected veteran, or any other protected class.