Director of Safety
Posted: Aug 21, 2017
Develop, plan, organize, and enhance the safety performance of the organization, Work in partnership with two separate divisions to ensure safe and productive performance. Responsible for providing education at all levels of the organization focusing on applicable standards, codes, and company policies. Responsible for planning, implementing, and maintaining the organizations risk- management program. This includes the administration of property and compensation. This position will report directly to the COO.
- Provide training to leadership and management on safety leadership, the process and expectations. Focus on continuous improvement opportunities.
- Set priorities and goals with senior management team by providing regular performance reports and communicating strengths/ opportunities for improvement.
- Provide safety education to achieve companywide business and divisional goals.
- Conduct job site safety surveys focusing on critical behaviors, compliance, and crew improvement opportunities.
- Investigate all work related injuries, property, and third party incidents to determine causes(s) and develop “lesson learned” reports for use as future safety topic education.
- Responsible for reporting all incidents to the appropriate insurance personnel.
- Compile, analyze and interpret statistical loss trends to positively impact occupational illnesses and third party claims.
- Maintain and update driver qualification files to meet company DOT requirements.
- Review Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) abstracts for new hires to ensure driving eligibility (annually).
- Manage relationship with insurance brokers and insurance companies. Own and drive coordination amongst the company, liability insurance companies, brokers and/or attorneys.
- Lead the Safety department and further enhance our safety culture and performance to become best in class.
- Oversight of claims reporting process, payment authorization and reconciliation of invoices.
- Establishes and implements procedures to ensure timely notification and proper reporting of claims and litigation against company to appropriate internal stakeholders, insurers, and third party administers.
- Understands applicable insurance policies and advises in-house counsel of significant developments on liability matters and insurance coverage issues that may impact company’s risk and exposure.
- Interpret safety regulations and bid requirements to ensure the most effective and efficient safety processes are implemented and budgeted.
- Manage staff of safety administrators.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Desired- 10 years of previous safety and risk management experience (preferably in the construction industry).
Skills/ Qualifications/ Education:
- OSHA Authorized Outreach Instructor for Construction preferred.
- Associate Risk Manager (ARM) or Certified Risk Manager (CRM) preferred.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Associate Risk Management (ARM) preferred.
- Professional depth in leading core practice areas of risk management especially focused on aiding senior management in making informed, imperative decisions, assessing potential pitfalls or threats to the business.
- Detail oriented including strong analytical and communication skills.
- Individual should have the ability to quickly establish trust and rapport with senior leaders, operating managers, and field personnel, while having the ability to clearly communicate across a wide range of cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to make good decisions, solve problems and drive for results.
- Efficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.
- Individual should have the highest work ethic and business integrity.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent travel to multiple locations including offices and job sites.
- Frequent walking, climbing, and standing.
- Possible occasional lifting of 75 lbs.
- May require working outdoors in extreme heat and cold.
- Some weekends and night work may be required depending on job requirements.
- Extended hours will be required for this position.
- Moderate to high noise levels in the work environments.
- 50% travel required.
Director of Talent and Development Contact Information: